About Me

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Monday 10 June 2013

Another million

A new high score, and my second million point game since the comeback. This time - 1,017,250.
 
It came in the fourth game I’d played in the past week or so. On the first weekend, I reached scores of just 289,560 and 294,430, and in the first game this weekend, scored a very modest 331,990. I gave myself one more game to get a decent score, and that’s what happened.
 
That million point game ended in Act 14 of the seventh set. Overall, I’d completed 109 Acts and died for the fourth and final time in the 110th. While I didn’t make a note of it, the entire game must have lasted around two and a half hours.
 
It was also probably the biggest winning margin in the history of Pengo. Zackomba was Player 2 in the game, but when his turn came around, he was engrossed in his iPad game. He did manage to break himself away when his third and final Pengo came up, and chewed an ice-block just to get some points on the board. But I’d be surprised if there’s been a more lop-sided scoreline in a two-player game than 1,017,250 to 30!
 
For the aficionados, the set scores were 131,760 for the first 16 Acts, 150,500 for the second, 173,840 for the third, 132,090 for the fourth and 151,010 for the fifth. Probably because I was so relieved to have cleared it, I forgot to record the score at the end of the sixth set, albeit it was 900,890 after Act 2 of the seventh set. Again the machine ‘clocked’ at 655,310, so the final score was 655,310 + 361,940.
 
I lost my Pengos at Act 14 in the first set, Act 13 in the third set, Act 6 in the sixth set (a stupid mistake - too greedy looking for the 10,000 bonus), and finally at Act 14 in the seventh set. As it happened, the end of the game coincided with chucking-out time at the museum, so if I hadn’t died when I did, the increasingly stern look on the security guard’s face suggested that the machine was going to be switched off very quickly afterwards.
 
The icing on the cake during the game was breaking my record for the fastest completed Act while achieving the 10,000 point bonus. My new record of 24 seconds (down from 25 seconds) was achieved during Act 2 of the fifth set.

No comments: